Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Conflicted Conservative

My mom bought me new bathing suits for our class trip to Redang. She's been meaning to do so ever since I wore my bikini (my one-piece bathing suits don't fit anymore) on the Sarawak trip. Not that she minded (she was the one who bought it) but she knows that I don't really feel so comfortable wearing it when I'm not with my family. It's different when your parents are with you somehow. She also knows that recently I've become a little more shy when it comes to showing certain parts of the body. I can hear some of you saying "bullsh*t" but you haven't seen how short Aina's (name changed to protect identity) skirts are. Even my tennis skirt wasn't that small. Don't get me wrong; I think it's great that she (with the better legs, by the way) has so much confidence - it's just that I don't have the guts for it myself. I've borrowed it before and I'm glad at the time I was with trusted guy friends i.e. Camel and Boy who always look out for me: Believe me, it's no fun once the mat rempits catch sight of you. Yeah, of course, certain clothes get you noticed - but it's never the kind of attention you want, especially if you're alone.

To be honest, I've actually got a weird notion of conservative but I guess it's still developing. I don't cover my hair but I freak out if I don't have a button for my baju kurung. I love the kebaya but never without a camisole. I like shorts but I think it's a crime to wear them in a shopping mall like you're at the beach. And I adore close-fitting tees but absolutely hate the kind of tops that your boobs spill out of. It's confusing, I know. Some people might think of me as an exhibitionist one minute, and an old-fashioned prude the next. Even I feel as though I can't really make up my mind which one I really am. You would think that I'd have myself all figured out by the age of 23. But you know, they say one never really stops growing.

4 comments:

[z@ck] said...

sumtimes being conservative is good
it avoids u from making 'sin'
=)

The House of AZ said...

Not to be offensive, but the cloth can only do so much...

There are plenty of videos going around with girls in tudungs doing very 'sin'ful things. Sometimes, these are the same girls giving other girls who don't wear tudung so much flak.

Although dressing conservatively may be good for you, what you wear is NEVER a measure for your iman.

remember:-
"a rose by any other name" and all that hack.

iZzy aNne said...

yeah, never judge a person by her baju!

April Fimbristylis said...

eva, you are what you are. it's nothing wrong being conservative but its very wrong to become a hypocrite, rite? ;)