Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Has It Really Been That Long?

What are the odds that when I check this I would see a comment from Aunty Latiffa of all people reminding me that I haven't been updating my blog? Don't answer that.
Been teaching in Johor for almost a month now. It's been interesting, and I think I've just about settled into something like a routine. Here's a typical day for me:

6.30am - Wake up
7.00am - Leave for school
7.30am - 1.05pm - Teach little brats
2.00pm or so - Go home (This time will change when I have more work to do)
3.30pm - 4.30pm - Practice Hiragana (We can write quite a few characters now)
6.00pm - 7.00pm - Write novel (I'm currently on Chapter 8)
8.00pm - 10.00pm - Read books or do some reflection (No neglecting the journal)
10.00pm - Sleep (Okay, this is a lie - usually I sleep later than that)

The teachers are all very nice to me. Most of them are new to the school (my school is only eight years old) and a number of them are still young so I'm guessing they all still remember what it feels like to be the newbie. I'm replacing two teachers who have recently been transferred to a matriculation college. Their students have been warned. I've relieved their classes before and the kids are dead scared of me. But the school is full of really naughty children so apparently one has to be really strict. A few of them have been rude to me. I made them stand on chairs. They told their teacher I'm "garang macam harimau". The teachers told me to keep it up.

It's been a month and by now, some of the kids know me better. Now, they call me "Cikgu Rock". One boy was worried I might be too "rock" and he playfully begged me to go back to "makcik" mode. Whatever. To be fair, he may be thinking of the kids who still need a good old-fashioned "pial telinga" every now and then. The teachers in this school are not allowed to touch the kids, which is sad. Papa says this is why the kids are so spoilt. During practicum, the rule was "anything that doesn't kill the child is okay". Fun times... (I'm so sadistic)

Not sure what else to write about. Pressed for time at the moment because I don't have the laptop charger with me (No place to plug that in anyway). Will continue later, ya?

1 comment:

Arif Fauzi said...

Congratulations on your graduations. Hope your having a good time in Johor. Let the perfectly normal weekends roll! Have a Great Time!