Thursday, January 29, 2009

20,000 Plane Crashes

Here's another snippet from one of my favourite short stories. Lemme know if you're interested...

The first time I heard those words I didn’t want to believe them. But I knew he was right. He always was. The argument was logical enough.

“We need to be brave enough to take risks in life or we miss out. It’s like flying.”

“Flying? Like angel wings or a plane?”

“People who are scared to fly don’t realise that flying is safer than driving.”

“Oh? How so?”

“Think about it: You read about car accidents more often than you read about plane crashes, don’t you? Even if one plane crash would result in more deaths than one...”

“Fiq?”

“Yes?” He stopped walking.

“Why are we talking about something so morbid?”

“I don’t know.”

That’s just the way it was with us. It was always “I don’t know”. Looking back, I’d say it was simply because that was the truth, plain and simple. We didn’t know. All we knew was that being with each other felt like being at home. We were that comfortable, that secure, that stupid. We didn’t understand half of what was really happening in our lives.

No comments: